By now, pet owners are well aware that chocolate is bad for pets. The dangers of allowing pets to consume xylitol (a sugar substitute) is also becoming more widely known – and for good reason. Xylitol, which is commonly found in sugar-free candy, baked goods, gum, and other products, can lead to a life-threatening drop in blood sugar and kidney failure in dogs.
Sugar is in practically everything we eat, but the popularity of low-carb and keto diets has led many people to seek out sugar alternatives. Sugar alcohols, like erythritol and plant-based sweeteners such as stevia, have exploded onto the market, and they can be purchased almost anywhere.
Here at West Park Animal Hospital, we’re always on the lookout for potential new pet toxins, and considering artificial sweeteners and pets is an important part of our ongoing research.
Halloween is just around the corner, and besides carving pumpkins and picking out the perfect costume, plenty of candy is likely on the agenda for kids and grownups alike. Chances are good that the family pet is also highly interested in these seasonal goodies, but the dangers associated with sweets far outweigh the benefits.
Keeping candy and pets separate on Halloween – and all year long – should be a top priority in every home.
With its claims of weight loss and improved health, the low-carb craze has everyone from teenagers to grandparents giving it a go. Because “low-carb” usually equates to “low-sugar,” sugar substitutes such as aspartame, erythritol, stevia, and xylitol seem to be in practically everything these days.
Meeting your health goals while still keeping your pet safe requires education, especially when it comes to xylitol toxicity. Xylitol and pets do not mix, and we want to make sure our readers are aware of the dangers associated with this particular substance.
Despite past setbacks, advocates of marijuana legalization in Ohio are moving toward a new initiative that would allow adults 21 years and older to grow, transport, possess, use, sell, purchase, and share marijuana and its numerous derivatives. Like residents in other states with similar laws, questions about pet safety will undoubtedly become more prevalent in the years to come. Marijuana can be found in many forms these days, making the issue of pot and pets an even bigger deal than ever before.
Responsible Pet Owners
The use of marijuana is growing in popularity. In fact, it’s almost commonplace. Regardless of where you stand on the initiative, marijuana products are out there, so it’s best to be prepared with pet safety in mind. Continue reading
By now, we all know that fruits and vegetables are part of a healthy diet. The same goes for our pets, who can benefit from the added vitamins and minerals found in small amounts of fresh produce. Allowing pets to have a bite of banana, a scoop of cooked sweet potato, or a few steamed green beans here and there is something pet owners can feel good about, and a treat that many pets enjoy immensely.
One can always have too much of a good thing, of course, and when it comes to pitted fruits, such as peaches, cherries, and nectarines, this is certainly the case. Pets and pitted fruit toxicity is a serious issue that all owners of fruit loving pets should be aware of. Here’s how to give your pet all the benefits of these nutritious fruits while they’re in season, without exposing them to a potential toxin. Continue reading
Brew day is fun, but it’s not something to take lightly at all. Carefully chosen ingredients – measured precisely – are cooked and combined to create a special sort of alchemy. Without a doubt, home brewing requires excellent timing, preparation, and focus.
But in the midst of hop pellets, yeast, and spent grain, pets can find themselves in a lot of trouble. Additionally, alcohol toxicity in pets is a significant risk of home brewing. To prevent emergencies connected to home brewing, we offer the following tips. Continue reading
Although they’ve been used for generations, essential oils have exploded onto the natural health and wellness scene. Touted for their positive effects on depression, insomnia, and even the common cold, essential oils aren’t all they’re cracked up to be. In fact, pet safety can be significantly compromised when the oils are breathed in or ingested. Before you install a diffuser in your home, we offer a quick guide to protect your cat or dog from a dangerous situation.
Pets are a part of the family, so it only makes sense that we exercise scrutiny and caution before giving them things that might be dangerous. When it comes to supplying fun chew or chase toys, we’re typically drawn in by the bright colors, fun sounds, and neat designs of pet toys. Sometimes, we’re also attracted by the price. Unfortunately, there really aren’t any standards in place for safe pet toys, and there could be excessive levels of harmful chemicals affecting our best friends.
Looking at old holiday photographs, it’s interesting to see the decorative choices that were made. Bright silver-looking artificial trees, aerosol-spray artificial snow, and mounds of tinsel all contribute to some warm and fuzzy memories, but luckily, these were mostly fads from a different era.
Current holiday decorations might be more tasteful and refined, but like all flashy, glittery, and attractive seasonal additions to the home, they still pose risks to holiday pet safety.
You’ve probably heard the old adage about curiosity and cats, but dogs are equally compelled (if not more so) to gobble up something unfamiliar. Sure, it’s possible that an entire roll of ingested dental floss could come out of your pet’s rear end intact, but it’s far more likely that he or she will endure a foreign body obstruction.
Gastrointestinal blockages can be painful or life-threatening, making surgery the only viable solution. Because it happens regularly, your friends at West Park Animal Hospital are determined to help before your pet eats something weird. Continue reading